Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Thank God for delays

The last 24hrs have been so rediculous but in an amazing way. I laugh everytime I think about it. First, my flight was delayed from Miami to Port au Prince. We kept waiting and waiting and even changed planes. Finally after a couple hours there was hope. We boarded the plane, buckled up and were ready....then the announcement came. "I am sorry to tell you this but an overheating light has come on and we are not able to fly this plane. So you will need to get off the plane." For real, could this day get any better? Well it actually got better despite my irritated attitude. I should tell you that I happened to sit next to this rad girl named Jessica, who lives in northern Haiti and works for a food distribution organization. We soon became buddies and we continued to wait for our plane to get fixed. Well after hours of continued waiting we finally decided that our plane was not going to be leaving anytime soon. So we (Jessica and I) went and asked the airlines if they would switch our flight...and that we did!! The best part was that we got our hotel and food paid for. I was able to get the rest I needed that I didn't even know I needed. I came to realize that delays aren't always such a bad thing and sometimes some really good things can come from them...like pillow top beds or new friends (thanks Jessica). And now I am back in Haiti and well rested!

P.S. As we were leaving today for take off water started spilling out of the wall. Like a waterfall. But it was just a leak from a fridge. So funny! We were able to leave...hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Christina that would freak me out if water was spilling out of the plane! I am so glad you are safe and having a good time. We all miss you so much. Continue to do great work! Love you, see you in september at the resort :) Love,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT IS CRAZY! i cant believe all that happened!:) Good thing you got to have a good sleep though! hope your having fun down there! your biggest FAN! P.S. This is Courtney by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete